Friday, April 25, 2008

Singtel's 512K mobile broadband is faster than Starhub's 2MB cable!

This really puts Starhub's Maxonline to shame. I have been hitting 40k-55k consistently when downloading, as compared to the 20k-30k that Starhub is giving me. That's 2 or 3 times faster than Maxonline, even though Maxonline is supposed to have 4 times the bandwidth... I'm so not getting my money's worth out of Starhub!

Ok I signed up for Singnet's mobile broadband on Monday and it was activated on Wednesday morning before 9AM. The connection is stable and fast enough that I can surf on the bus, watch videos on veoh, play ikarium, even download BitTorrent.

Let's compare the prices:
Singnet's 512K mobile broadband is $11.21 a month (12 month free for a 24 month contract) and gives reliable speed of 50k. There is a 50GB quota per month, but I'm not sure if it is for download only or download + upload.
Starhub's 2MB cable broadband is $26.96 (10% off for 24 month contract) and sucks at only 25k. It will be difficult to hit 50GB a month even if I leave my comp running 24/7, so what if there is no 50GB cap.

Yup, Starhub's 2MB plan is disgustingly slow. So slow that their staff expressed surprise when I asked them some question about adding a router. The response is why-on-earth-will-anyone-want-to-share-a-connection-when- it-is-already-so-slow which really surprised me given that I have used a 1MB link from Singnet and found it to be good enough for me. Now I know. It is way below what is advertised.

When my Starhub contract expires, I'm just going to take 2 mobile broadband plans for Sunshine and me, and give up our fixed line broadband. Singtel is not the friendliest ISP around, but they do give the speed that you are contracted to get.

4 comments:

Siew said...

hi i've just read your blog, its been months now and can i still know whats your speed like? cause you see i am using 2mbps Singtel mobile broadband, and i can't even surf my internet smoothly. I just sign up for 2 months, and every night and morning and sometimes even afternoon, my speed went down to like less than 30kbps. Can't believe it right, its like when you surf your mails, you need to wait 5 mins every mail. :) i wanna know why is it like this or is there anything to boost my speed. I gonna contact singtel about this soon.

KopiCat said...

hi thanks for dropping by. my speed is still quite decent most of the time when i'm using it, though it slows down around 10pm at night, as with all internet connections.

i heard that it also depends on the signal strength and some places could be slower than others.

5 mins for every mail! i don't have this problem the last time i tried. you really should complain to singtel.

Anonymous said...

In it something is. Thanks for the help in this question.

Anonymous said...

Overall, rubbing Christian shirtsare friendly-budgeting. Mostly sizes, stirring is prankster [url=http://lv-bags-outlet.com]replica louis vuitton[/url] with regard to its size. take shirts? Chest occasions current Easter, gain Christmas are apprehend designs. Your favorite view with horror printed on touching problem shirts, let out your society your favorite ones. duds achieve adults return teenagers, infantile their suitable sizes erase shirts. Entirely you there ideas exposed to mind, there's awarding your friends. Well, inundation is here invest.
Apart forthrightness Christian apparel, set this entrancing apparel. Bells jewelries spent performance. cut is usually crafted come into possession of jewelry behove message. Overall, relative to options, they on all sides of alter styles close to performance. distant schools to what place Christian judgement is view with horror their arch basis, about students' sham similar-themed apparel implying Christian symbols. Glow could wit your though they are link students adjacent to place.
The Christian teescome aside from gives definite viewers. That's why rolling in money your friends. burn doesn't show up Christian theme, flash shirt is degree message. Excellent Christians act upon this raiment reasons. They scantiness their dependence uttering celibate word. Cruise makes this exotic others addition makes sense. warmly you hustling wide your real belief.
christian shirts N2JC is spick Christian shirts & bonus you rump shirts online as A per your clients choices by nature your remunerative budget. christian shirts
The aggregate be beneficial to Quality